A1: Highway Lighting
Bouygues Energies & Services installed 362 lighting columns along the A1 between the Black Cat roundabout and Sandy, a total of 8km.
Within the scheme, there were 313 passive lighting columns, 13 new feeder pillars and approximately 80,000 metres of cable.
There was a high water table within the area, so Bouygues Energies & Services proposed an above-ground passively-safe disconnection system in lieu of the originally-designed and more traditional underground passively-safe disconnection system. The system works with each passive column having an impact sensor. Upon impact, the sensor provides an open circuit to a monitor board within the feeder pillar and the circuit disconnects thus isolating power to the damaged column making it electrically safe.
Benefits for Client
- Bouygues Energies & Services installed an above-ground disconnection system to overcome the high water table in the area.
- Special foundations were constructed by Bouygues Energies & Services to install columns in very poor ground conditions (waterlogged).
- Vacuum excavation was used for cable trenching and column-hole excavation in areas where high levels of existing services were present.
- Professionally and safely installed columns.
- Bouygues Energies & Services advised and highlighted design issues before problems arose (such as the overhead power lines causing a risk to installation and maintenance of the scheme).
- Fully-trained site team and workforce dedicated to the project.